Skip NavigationMenu


Every educator makes a difference. Whether you illustrate subtraction to a 2nd grader or guide two high school students through conflict resolution, your influence will be felt for a lifetime.

Certification Programs in Washington

* Online program available.


Teachers must be certificated in Washington state and hold an endorsement in at least one state-approved teaching area. Learn more about endorsement requirements on OSPI’s website.

Some endorsements require only a test, while others require an approved program and a test.

Test only: Biology, Chemistry, Choral Music, Computer Science, Dance, Earth & Space Science, English Language Arts, General Music, Health/Fitness, History, Instrumental Music, Mathematics, Middle-Level Humanities, Middle-Level Mathematics, Middle-Level Science, Physics, Science, Social Studies, Theater Arts, Visual Arts, and Designated World Languages

Program + Test: Elementary Education, Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Reading, English Language Learner, Bilingual, Agriculture, Business & Marketing, Family Consumer Sciences, Technology Education, Library Media, and Traffic Safety

Coming to Washington

We welcome teachers from other states! Out-of-state teachers applying for a Washington Residency certificate:

  • Create an E-Certification account
  • Send your transcript by email or mail to OSPI Professional Certification, PO Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504
  • Verify your program:
    – Complete form 4020E (verification of college program) or form 4020F-1 (verification of experience outside of Washington)
    – Submit the form with a copy of your out-of-state teaching certificate
    – Endorsements completed after your program should be submitted on form 4020F-1
  • Testing: Pass Washington Educator Skills Test Basic (WEST-B) and WEST-E and NES assessments*
  • Fingerprinting & Background Check: Contact your local Educational Service District (ESD) to learn about fingerprinting.

* OSPI accepts many out-of-state tests. Submit your results to OSPI for review.

Other Pathways

More Alternative Routes

  • Are you a paraeducator with an associates degree? – Explore “Route 1”
  • Are you a paraeducator with bachelor’s degree? – Explore “Route 2”
  • Do you have a bachelor’s degree, but are not currently employed by a school or district? – Explore “Route 3”
  • Are you an emergency substitute or on a conditional certificate? – Explore “Route 4”


  • Starting salary: $36,521
  • Top of pay scale: $68,836
  • Average salary: $53,738 (2016)


  • Medical/dental/vision insurance
  • Life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance
  • Long-term disability insurance
  • Retirement benefits
  • Flexible spending account

* Pay and benefits are bargained at the local level and vary from district to district.

EdJobsNW and Fingerprinting will be closed all day Friday, September 28, so employees can attend our 3rd Annual All-Staff Event.